Friday 13 December 2013

Inspirations #3- David Attenborough


This one probably won't come as a surprise to those of you who have been following my blog and know a bit of my back story will know that I am a Zoology Student and I think any student who studies in this field will have at some point seen one of his numerous documentaries! 

Going into fangirling mode, David Attenborough was one of the main reasons I decided to pursue Zoology as my degree (okay, initially I wanted to be a vet but I didn't have the academia for that!) and since I have never been one for partying I often spent my teenage Friday nights catching up on his current documentary series or searching YouTube for ones that I hadn't yet seen. 

I commute back and forth from University on a pretty regular basis, usually every other weekend and I have been trying to give myself the train journeys to do some reading, whether it be fictional or journal papers for my assignments but FINALLY this semester I managed to complete one of his most famous books, Life on Earth. Reading his book couldn't have come at a better time as I was starting to fall out of love with my assignments (mostly due to the ridiculous amount of work and pressure I was under) but this book gently nudged me back onto the right track and I am no longer dreading going back to University after the Christmas break! 

I am still undecided as to whether I want to go into a Zoology related career or opt for something like teaching or maybe even writing instead but luckily I have another year to get through that ! I keep jokingly saying that Attenborough will have retired by the time that I graduate and I can have his job but I think in reality his shoes might be a little too big for a recent graduate to fill, as much as it would be fun! 

Do you love David Attenborough too? What do you like the most? 

No comments:

Post a Comment